Wednesday 12 October 2016

"My New Favourite Apple Pie Recipe"

After my rousingly successful post about pastry, I was asked for my apple pie recipe. I used to make an "open apple pie" from a Mennonite cook book because it was most like what I was used to growing up. (No, we aren't Mennonite, but my mother is of rural German heritage and there are similarities in food).

Then I discovered this recipe (likely somewhere on Pinterest) and tried it and it turned out even better than my usual, so when I wrote it up on a recipe card (yes, I still use those), I named it "My New Favourite Apple Pie Recipe". So, here's to you, lovely Martha from Plowing Through Life.

Preheat to 375 degrees

Ingredients: 1 pie crust
                  5 1/2 cups peeled, cut up apples (I used Courtland)
                    1 tbls lemon juice
                    1/2 cup white sugar
                      1/4 cup brown sugar
                      3 tbls flour
                     1/2 tsp (or more) cinnamon
                      1/4 tsp nutmeg
Topping:
                3/4 cup flour
                1/4 cup white sugar
                 1/4 cup brown sugar
                  1/3 cup butter (room temperature)

Place crust in pie pan. In a large bowl, mix apples and all other ingredients except topping. Feel free to use your hands for this. Pile into crust. Make topping in a med. bowl, mix with a fork until coarse / crumbly. Sprinkle topping over apple mixture. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes. Cover edge of crust with tinfoil if it is getting too dark.


And that's it. I sometimes reduce the sugar somewhat and there is very little difference. If you have a little cream, you could drizzle a little over the whole mixture before it goes into the oven to make it a bit more liquidy and delightful. Also, make sure you use baking apples. It does make a difference. If you aren't sure, it even describes the best uses for the apples if you buy them in a bag. Courtlands are a nice multi purpose apple that work well in a pie but are also o.k. for cutting up and eating.
Have a lovely day. I have pulled pork tenderloin  in the crockpot swimming around with some Diana chicken and rib sauce. I think I need a break from turkey. Of course, daughter is working (home from university for Reading Week), son is with girlfriend, so once again it is just husband and I. Oh well, they can show up for leftovers. TTFN.

11 comments:

  1. I think the brown sugar just gives it a better flavor. I heavily dot the top with butter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly! I'm glad I didn't read this until after we ate. Your supper sounds SO much better than ours!
    The pie sounds scrumptious. I love apples...can't wait to go on our "birthday" trip that includes a stop at an orchard AND lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooo, going to an orchard at this time of year sounds like a perfect way to spend some time!

      Delete
  3. YUSS! Thank you so much for sharing this. I LOVE homemade apple pie and your recipe looks delicious. I know the apples you are referring to. I purchase them often, mostly for cutting up and eating, but also for baking. Now I'm going to pin this post and pick a day to back this pie. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe - I shall try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the pie & piecrust recipes - once the glow of too much pumpkin pie is done, I will begin to crave apple harvest pie & I think Costco has Courtlands in the bag. Mr Man is over stuffed with turkey & craves a change so he gets meatloaf tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm making spaghetti!! I'm a little "turkeyed " out, too!

      Delete
  6. I love my pies with crumble topping. My mother used to make a Dutch apple pie that had a low sugar topping. It was so good, but I've never been able to duplicate it.
    I bought some Courtland apples yesterday. They are my favorite. We are so lucky to have a good selection of apples available in Ontario all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds absolutely delicious. My mother made the best apple pie I have ever had and mine doesn't even come close. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete