Friday 2 December 2016

T.G.I.F.

After work today, the husband and I bundled our little cross between a panda bear and a guinea pig with some capybara thrown in there into his cat cage and drove him to the small town where he had his tail amputation two weeks ago. He has been doing very well. We still couldn't let him outdoors until his stitches came out, and tonight was the night!

The vet said he still had some swelling and they drained some fluid to help with the swelling. His stitches were removed but there is still a little healing to be done, so they gave him some more long lasting antibiotics and said we should keep him in for another week or so. We will take him back in about a week for a final check up.  They were suggesting we take (purchase) a "cone of shame" in case he started licking and opening things up, but he honestly hasn't bothered with it so far, so no thank you, we will hold off on purchasing a cone. Besides, he is such a little idiot, he would probably cram himself into something and get stuck because of his cone, then we'd come home from work and have to deal with whatever mess he got himself into.

Here he is, eating, which was the only way I was going to get a picture of him staying still. You can see the tiny stump of a tail.



He is also sporting  a manly scar on his nose.


Of course, they shaved his fur around his bottom end, so he looks rather odd. I think it will be better once his long fur starts to grow back.


This is how he used to look: mostly tail. Oh well. That's how it goes. He has eight lives left.


While we were in the little town taking care of veterinary things, we stopped off at a local restaurant for supper. Scooter was tucked in with a towel and a blanket in his cage, so he was fine. We both had experienced long weeks at work and were happy to have a beer and some good food. I had the French Onion steak melt on a ciabatta bun. It was sooo good, served with a little bowl of French onion soup for dipping. I "upgraded" to sweet potato fries on the side. I was in serious drippy, gooey, savoury heaven.

When we left the restaurant we walked past a quaint storefront of a pharmacy that retained its history and charm. They had a Christmas scene set up in the front window.

It was a nice little scene with Santa by the chimney, but the neat thing was it was animated.


The cat rolled around in Santa's sack.


The dog wagged its tail (huh, I guess it's happy to have a tail!).


And this elf kept pointing at the pocket watch, letting Santa know he didn't have time to sleep on the job.

I hope the little ones who live in this town stand at the window and enjoy the magic of the season. I know I would have loved something like this when I was a child.

It reminded me of going with my father to a hardware store in the town where we would do our shopping (we lived out in the country). At the sales counter, there was a little contraption where you placed a coin in the slot and a little dog would come out of the dog house and take the coin and retreat back into his dog house. I loved it and would ask my father to do this whenever we would go in that store.

Tonight is basketball night. It is so fun watching these house league games now that the boys are older and much more skilled. I love it when the score is close and both teams are really fighting for their points. Son scored two three-pointers last game. His girlfriend is coming to watch tonight, so maybe we'll see a few more fancy moves and a couple more baskets!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, Why did the kitty lose his tail ? Hope he heals nicely. I like that store front. Sounds like old times. Great header photos. Blessings for a fabulous weekend, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, he came back to the house two weeks ago with a tail that had all the fur (and skin) gone. It was horrible. The vet figured it was a fan belt accident, that perhaps he had crawled up under a vehicle. So he had to have an amputation, but has done very well since.
      You have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. Poor furball... I hope he heals well. He looks pretty good for all he's been through.

    Glad you got out and about and had some fun. Sometimes we need to run away from home :)

    I always enjoy your posts! You have this wonderful writing style that keeps me totally focused on everything you say. Your style is interesting and enjoyable, and there are traces of humour in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! I always love reading your posts, too, and wonder where you find all your "funnies".

      Delete
  3. Cars and cats sure don't get along to well do they?
    When I was growing up in Peterborough, we had a lumber store with a wonderful window display of Santa's workshop. It was all animated of course. It disappeared when the lumber store closed down. A couple of years ago someone found it in a storeage place. A group got together to restore it. Tomorrow it is going to be put on display at a Peterborough car dealership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a nice story! I'm glad people restored it and now another generation can enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. My dog hated the cone of shame when she was still alive. She also broke her leg when she was young. She HATED the cast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he looks uber cute tailless! I cringed at his possible accident. Sweet window scene but the elf is a tad sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child, the two department stores had animated windows. It brought most of the city downtown to look, during the season. We filed along the sidewalk, until our parents moved us along to the next. Like Karen's display, parts of ours is displayed in one of the same windows. That building is now owned by the University of Akron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad your sweet kitty is recuperating. He (she -- I can't recall!) is so beautiful. What a good cat-mom you are!

    And I loved seeing the windows. It reminded me of the department store windows in our town before they were gone, due to the shopping malls. Just magical, and when you wrote that you hoped every kid stopped by the window and remembered the magic, I knew just what you meant. It sounds like you two had a wonderful time there and at dinner! Merry, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All sounds good and glad the kitty is doing well. I wondered if all animals live inside where the winters are so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they both go outside in the winter, just not as long. Although our old cat, Nelly only went out when the weather was warm. That's how we knew Spring had really arrived.

      Delete
  9. In the picture with tail he looks very pleased with himself and his tail. "Pride comethh before destruction." Poor kitty.

    And holy crap! He does look like a Guinea pig. Do you tease him because of it? I would. But then I would feel bad and give him Temptations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jenn...such a beautiful precious kitty. What trauma she has endured. So happy to hear she is healing. How I loved the dinner you enjoyed and the storefront. It certainly brought me back to my childhood days also. Oh...what memories! I loved your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cat! Even without the tail. Glad all is going well there. Your header is lovely - and my kids both played bball, we still miss those games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor little mite. I hope he's not in too much discomfort.

    ReplyDelete